WAGE & HOUR LAW ATTORNEY
Employment Law Attorney in Rockville, MD
Employment Wage and Hour laws can be complex, but it is important for employees to be aware of their rights according state and federal employment regulation laws, like the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), The Maryland Wage Payment and Collection Laws, and the DC Wage Payment and Wage Collection Law.
Employees and Former Employees can claim their owed wages for current and past work performed. The Wage laws provide double, three times, and up to four times what is due depending on the location (jurisdiction).
Why choose us?
- We offer bilingual service in both English and Spanish.
- We have over a decade of legal experience.
- The Spencer Firm offers free consultations for wage and hour claims.
- We truly care about the wellbeing of our clients.
- We help you get what you are owed so that you can use that money for yourself and your family.
- No initial cost and we don’t get paid unless you get paid.
We have successfully settled various wage and hours claims for both employers and employees, equipping us to better assist our clients from every angle of the law. If you need an employment lawyer to address a wage and hour issue, contact our firm today.
Common Wage & Hour Claims
Wage and hour clams can take on several different forms and can be caused by various contributing factors.
Some common issues that involve wage and hour claims include:
- The classification of salary vs. hourly.
- Access to proper documentation of hours worked.
- The proper enforcement of work duties.
- Misclassifications of independent contractor vs. employee.
We are uniquely equipped to assist employees in these matters because, as employment lawyers who represent both sides, we understand and are knowledgeable on how the other side works. If your employer is violating the law and abusing your rights, then we will do everything in our power to protect you.
Wage & Hour Claim: Unpaid Wages
If you have not been properly paid, then you have the right to pursue legal channels in order to receive compensation.
An unpaid wage claim can result from the following:
- Not being paid your last check
- Minimum wage violations
- Not being paid for work performed before clocking in (i.e., putting on work equipment)
- Not being paid for work performed before clocking out
- Deductions from paycheck for things that don’t apply to you
- unpaid commissions or salary
- Not being paid for time that you are driving to and from work related locations
- Not being paid for time that you are waiting while working
While legal penalties vary by state, Wage and hour laws allow you to sue your employer for the amount owed and anywhere between double, three times, and four times the amount owed depending on where you worked. Additionally, your employer could be liable for your legal fees.
Minimum Wage Violations
The current minimum wage in Montgomery County Maryland ranges from $13.00-$14 depending on employer size. The rate is set to increase on July 1, 2021 ($13.50-$15).
The current minimum wage in Maryland ranges from $11.60-$11.75 depending on employer size.